Saturday, February 12, 2011

.5 Marathon

Next Sunday I will be running my very first half-marathon. I'm excited because it has been a long-term dream of mine. (next, a full marathon?!) I'm also frozen with terror. 13.1 miles is FAR. I will run 7 miles (FAR!) and be only half way there (FAAAARRR!).

On Friday I ran my first 11-miler. I honestly should have prepped much better for this race, but I don't plan to set any speed records anyways. I would just like to finish with all my limbs intact. Plus, this whole "knee injury out of nowhere" thing has really throw me for a loop.

For those not "in the know," I somehow managed to give myself patellofemoral tendinitis. There were no warning signs. I went for an easy 5 mile jog and came home feeling fine. It was my first time running on the streets in awhile, but nothing felt odd and 5 miles was pretty short after a 9-miler earlier that week. I went to Randall's, got food, made dinner, and sat down to watch some Hulu. When I got up an hour later, intense pain commenced. It kind of feels like a dull knife on the top of my kneecap. I am, understandably, very anxious about pain around my kneecaps.

I went to the doctor and she confirmed the tendinitis. I was a little freaked. I had trained (relatively) hard for this half-marathon and it sucked to think about not being able to even TRY. She reassured me that I could keep running as long as the pain didn't radiate up my knee. I tried to run 4 miles after a weeks rest and it was pretty intense pain from mile 2-4. Unfortunately I was running Town Lake and the pain started right at the turnaround. Either way I had to run two more miles.

With all that said, the 11-miler (technically 11.3, thank you very much) yesterday was pretty much pain-free! I'm hurting a bit right now but I'm heating and rubbing it with Arnica gel and resting. I'm hoping to get in a few more short runs before next Sunday, but it is on!

Bring it on, Livestrong Austin 1/2 Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment