Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Vanderbilt

I thought some people might get a kick out of this story, so I'm posting it here.

Vanderbilt Law is one of my top choices for next year. Great campus, nice buildings, excellent career opportunities, relevant clinics (experiential learning opportunities), likely to give me a scholarship, cool city, nice climate, and dog friendly. (see? it's pretty perfect) Thus, I really really wanted to get in and a couple people with very similar numbers were getting waitlisted. Now, waitlisting is not the end of the world but it can mean the end of chances of receiving money. Without a scholarship, Vanderbilt is considerably more expensive than UT (in-state + scholarship) and I probably couldn't justify choosing it.

Vanderbilt sends acceptances in 4 lb boxes via Fedex, usually arriving within 2-3 days of getting "Decision Letter Sent" on the online status checker. Waitlists and rejections come via regular mail and take much longer.

My online 'law school friends' had reported this situation earlier in a comical exchange:
Student 1: Fedex says I have a package coming. Does this mean I'm in?
Student 2: How much does it weigh?
Student 1: They said 4 lbs. That's good right??
Student 2: Looks like they sent you the rejection brick!

I laughed for a really long time at that mental image. (Student 1 was accepted, in case you were concerned)

My status turned to Decision Letter Sent on 2/7 yesterday. Understandably, I freaked out. A couple people had had luck calling FedEx and checking to see if a package was headed their direction so I thought I would try my luck. At least I wouldn't be stressing for the next couple days!

Here's how it went:
Me: Hi, I was wondering if a package is coming to me?
Fedex: Do you have a tracking number?
Me: No, is it possible to just check my address? Here it is _______
Fedex: It looks like it should arrive around Wednesday at 4:30
Me: IT'S REALLY COMING?
Fedex: Yes....it left Nashville at 8:00 this morning. It looks like it's from Vanderbilt Law School
Me: I GOT INNNNNNN!
Fedex: *nervous laughter* ....that's great?
Me: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh thank you so so much!
Fedex: ....ok great...have a good day?
Me: iloveyou bye


Haha. So I'm 0 for 2 on proper phone reactions to good news. For UT I said "hooray." Maybe next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment